- October 2020: After 5 years in the group and having completed his MSci and PhD degrees with us, Joe Glover moves to Southampton to take up a postdoctoral position with Prof. Graeme Day. Good luck, Joe, with the new project and new life down South!
- October 2020: Elena gives an invited talk at the Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre (CCDC) Global User Group meeting 2020: Rethinking the future of in silico science.
- October 2020: Our collaborative study with Dr. Alex Saywell (Physics, Nottingham) demonstrating that cyclic porphyrin polymers
have the potential to act as molecular quantum rings has been published in Physical Review Letters.
- October 2020: Elena delivers a keynote lecture "Computational screening of porous materials for biogas purification" at the RSC Faraday
Division online symposium.
- September 2020: Our research describing atomic mechanisms of metal crystal nucleus formation in carbon nanotubes has been published in Nature Chemistry, and our long-term collaborative project with Prof. Duncan Gregory (University of Glasgow) on the design and characterisation of low dimensional nanostructures of fast ion conducting lithium nitride has been crowned with a publication in Nature Communications.
- August 2020: Elena gives an invited talk entitled "Probing chemical kinetics in two dimensional materials using
atomic resolution imaging" at the Microscopy and Microanalysis (M&M2020) virtual meeting. It was originally planned to be held in Milwaukee, WI, USA.
- July 2020: Joe's work on modelling the interaction of hydrogen with the indium selenide van der Waals crystals has been published in
- July 2020: Connor Williamson has successfully completed his MSci research project in the group working on the development of novel electrostatic solutions for
interactions between particles with inhomogeneous surface charge distributions. Connor will stay in the group for another 4 years to pursue a PhD in theoretical chemistry.
- July 2020: Maggie Stankiewicz has joined the group to pursue her MRes degree. Welcome, Maggie!
- June 2020: Emily Spray (middle) from the University of Leicester has started her undergraduate summer research project with us. Emily will be working on modelling Kr/Xe gas separation in metal-organic frameworks.
- June 2020: Getting back together again after the lockdown.... It is so nice to talk about science and get some fresh air!
Nottingham Lock, Attenborough Nature Reserve
- March 2020: Rebecca and Josh's work on modelling self-assembly behaviour of opppositely charged bipatchy colloids has been published in
- March 2020: Elena gives a lecture at the "Women in Chemistry" Conference and Career event held at Nottingham to celebrate International Women's Day. Her talk was entitled "MSci research project in computational chemistry: What's next?" and it showcased some of the best female Masters students she supervised over the years.
The meeting report has been published in Communications Chemistry - Nature in the article The Chemical Ladies written by the Chief Editor Victoria Richards.
- February 2020: Elena's tour of Australia begins with a Departmental Seminar at the School of Chemistry, University of Sydney, entitled
"Modelling the mechanisms of electrostatic fragmentation and self-assembly" (hosted by Prof. Peter Gill) and ends with a Keynote Lecture "Computational screening of porous materials for biogas upgrading" at the ICONN 2020 Conference in Brisbane.
- January 2020: Katherine passes her viva. Very well done, Katherine!
- January 2020: Elena has been awarded with a prestigious Royal Society Wolfson Fellowship (2020 - 2024). The fellowship is jointly funded by the Royal Society and the
Wolfson Foundation to support UK Universities in making strategic research appointments and retaining outstanding senior research scientists in the UK. It provides long-term flexible funding for senior career researchers in fields identified as a strategic priority for the host institution. This internationally recognised scheme covers all areas of Life and Physical Sciences including Engineering.
- January 2020: Elena gives a Departmental Seminar at the Department of Chemistry at Lancaster University entitled "Electrostatic self-assembly".