- July 2018: Elena attends the StEM workshop on "Multidimensionality in Electron Microscopy" held at Ringberg Castle (Max Planck Society), Tegernsee, Bavaria and gives an invited lecture on e-beam induced chemical reactions in TEM.
- July 2018: Joe wins a poster prize for his poster entitled "Pore-filling contamination and its effect on specific surface area in metal-organic frameworks", which he presented at the annual Dan Eley postgraduate meeting at the School of Chemistry, University of Nottingham. Well done, Joe!
- July 2018: Elena gives an invited lecture "Electron beam induced chemistry of organic molecules and dynamics of point defects" at the EMAG 2018 Conference dedicated to applications of electron microscopy to beam sensitive materials, which took place at the Unversity of Warwick, UK.
- June 2018: After 5.5 years Alexander is leaving the group to take up a postdoctoral fellow post at the University of Vienna with Dr. Toma Susi, where he will continue working on modelling irradiation-induced processes in materials .
- June 2018: Elena gives a research seminar "Theory of electrostatic self-assembly" at the School of Chemistry, Northwestern University, USA (hosted by Prof. George Schatz).
- June 2018: Elena gives an invited keynote lecture "Flexibility and curvature of 2D supramolecular arrays and graphene" at the 18th U.S. National Congress for Theoretical and Applied
Mechanics USNC/TAM 2018, Chicago, USA ("Mechanics of Multifunctional 2D Materials - Graphene and Beyond" workshop).
- May 2018: Harriet receives a scholarship from Emil Aaltosen säätiö foundation (Finland) to establish a collaborative project between Nottingham and Helsinki on theoretical and experimental investigation of metal implantation in graphene.
- May 2018: Elena gives a research seminar on the development of theory of electrostatic interactions between polarisable particles at the School of Chemistry, University of Bath, UK.
- April 2018: Joe Glover, 2nd year PhD student, has been awarded a RSC Materials Horizons Poster Prize at the UK-MOF 2018 conference, which took place in Southampton UK on 9-10 April 2018. Very well done, Joe!
- April 2018: Our MSci student, Emma Daniels, receives a prestigious Salters' Graduate Prize in Chemistry awarded to only up to ten final-year undergraduate students across the UK. Richly deserved, Emma!
- April 2018: Elena gives a talk "Electron-beam induced chemistry of organic molecules" at the MA3 Symposium: Directed Matter - Atom-by-Atom Assembly with Electron Beams and Scanning Probes, MRS Spring Meeting, Phoenix Arizona, USA.
- February 2018: This year, Harriet wins two Gold Medals in her category at the UK Jiu Jitsu National competition!! One impressive girl.
- February 2018: Elena gives a research seminar "Electrostatic self-assembly on surfaces and electron-induced chemistry on graphene" at the University of Sussex (hosted by Prof. Alan Dalton, Materials Physics Group).
- January 2018: A new international, interdisciplinary team led by Professor Elena Besley (UK) with participants from Russia, UK, Germany, France and Norway met
at the International Space Science Institute (ISSI) in Bern, Switzerland and began a project on Electrostatic Manipulation of Nano-Scale Objects in Planetary Environments.
The team spans expertise in physical, mathematical, and space sciences and undertakes fundamental studies of the native behaviour and manipulation of charged nano-scale objects
in planetary environments, with a focus on the lunar reglith. At the meeting, investigations of dusty plasmas and nano-particle charging on the Moon surface, complementary laboratory experiments on dusty plasmas, and computational and analytical models of micro- and nano-particle charging have been discussed.
See the weblink for further details.